We’re going backwards again with episode 6.
Watching the chronological order has helped me to realize just how much they jumbled the episodes up with the broadcast order. It’s been nice just watching everything in the proper order, although the episode jumps make me have to constantly confirm that I’m on the correct episode…
Koizumi just happens to have a “distant relative” who just happens to own a private mansion on a private island, cut off from society. And so, the SOS Brigade (+ Kyon’s little sister) is on their way to spend some time there during the summer break.
Haruhi, the supersleuth, is gung-ho about finding a mystery while on this island. Koizumi explains that lately she had been taking an interest in closed-loop mysteries, which is why they were headed to the island. In order to create a closed-loop mystery where everyone is trapped on the island. Koizumi’s organization is all about appeasing Haruhi, after all.
After a few days of fun, the mystery has just begun. An intense storm has left everyone trapped on the island, The gang has just stumbled upon the body of the mansion’s owner, with a knife through his heart.
Kyon’s Little Sister
Once again, I feel the need to point out how Kyon’s little sister has managed to tag along, because it’s funny. This time Kyon had tried to sneak out without her, but as he was leaving he found her hiding in his bag. She then nagged him until he caved and brought her with him on the trip.
Unlike the baseball game, Haruhi seemed fine with her being there this time.
Asahina takes her duty as the SOS Brigade’s maid seriously, and there is a funny scene where she is fixated on the maid from the mansion while they are in a boat on their way to the mansion.
The master of the house has been stabbed, or so it appears.
The episode ends right as we see this.
I have two thoughts regarding this.
Broadcast Order Cruelty
First is that it seems pretty cruel for broadcast order to actually put an episode between this one and the continuation of the mystery. Here we have an episode where the entire time we know that something is going to happen on the island, because Haruhi wants something to happen. They setup this whole situation, and end the episode on a cliffhanger.. and they still apparently decided to not show the continuation of this episode right after.
This just makes me even more glad that I decided to watch chronological order.
My second thought is regarding the mystery. While I know that next episode we will dive into the “case” and whatnot, I have a feeling that, aside from the storm, the “murder” is a sham. Koizumi’s organization knows that Haruhi wants a mystery, so naturally they would try to create a mystery. I doubt Haruhi’s desire for a mystery is so strong that she would subconsciously murder people.
The storm though I could see being Haruhi’s doing, because that’s out of Koizumi’s organization’s control. Maybe some other aspects of the mystery will change based on Haruhi’s whims, other things that weren’t originally planned. We’ll find out soon enough.
This was a fun episode, but I did feel that it lacked “pull” compared to other episodes. Most of the episode was just the SOS Brigade having fun and playing games. I guess I’m not totally against that though.
It just felt a bit odd to have this feeling of “when is the mystery going to start?” for most of the episode. Eventually, I knew that the episode would end on a cliffhanger.
Anyways, we’ll see where this “mystery” leads us in the next episode.
Until then, here’s Haruhi and Asahina enjoying the ocean:
Until next time,
Thanks for reading.
Other Haruhi Posts
- Episode 2 (#1) – Series Introduction
- Episode 3 (#2) – Bullying Kyon Edition
- Episode 5 (#3) – Yuki’s Glasses Edition
- Episode 10 (#4) – Contrast Edition
- Episode 13 (#5) – Real Talk Edition
- Episode 14 (#6) – Romance Edition
- Episode 4 (#7) – Let’s Play Ball! Edition
- Episode 15 (#8) – Introspective Edition
- Episode 7 (#9) – Supernatural Exterminator Edition
- Episode 6 (#10) – Fun in the Sun Edition
- Episode 8 (#11) – “Dark Stormy Night” Edition
- Episode 16 (#12) – “You can have one, but only one.” Edition
- Episode 17 (#13) – Haruhi’s Declaration Edition
- Episode 18 (#14) – Noble Aspirations Edition
- Episode 19 (#15) – Bikes Edition
- Episode 20 (#16) – Hands Up Edition
- Episode 21 (#17) – Festival Edition
- Episode 22 (#18) – Lunch? Edition
- Episode 23 (#19) – Just Yomu Edition
- Episode 24 (#20) – Summer is Over!! Edition
- Episode 25 (#21) – Back to Business Edition
- Episode 26 (#22) – Bullying Mikuru Asahina Edition
- Episode 27 (#23) – Director Haruhi Edition
- Episode 28 (#24) – Talking Cat Edition
- Episode 01 (#25) – Directorial Debut Edition
- Episode 12 (#26) – God Knows Edition
- Episode 11 (#27) – All Hands On Deck! Edition
- Episode 9 (#28) – Good News Edition