You know what this blog needs? More Haruhi.
And that’s why I’m here with another episode of my rewatch through The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, an absolute anime classic that I’ve managed to forget many details about over the years since I first watched it.
I realized after posting that my last post was actually of episode 2, not 1. Episode 1 is apparently just titled “Episode 0”, but in reality it’s episode 1, which confused me at first, but now we’re back on track with the episode numbers. No more confusion from here on out, hopefully.
With the SOS Brigade a semi-official club (still lacking a 5th member), Haruhi decides that she wants a computer for the clubroom. So, Haruhi grabs Kyon (literally), and brings him and Mikuru to the computer club to procure a computer. When the computer club president refuses to donate a computer to Haruhi, she proceeds to frame him as sexually harassing Mikuru by pushing him onto her and taking pictures. He concedes, and Haruhi gets her computer.
Haruhi then tells Kyon to make a website, because “it’s not possible to be an active club without one”. She then moves on to the next phase of her plans. Haruhi gets two bunny girl outfits and forces Mikuru to wear one with her – they proceed to hand out fliers at the school’s front gate but then get caught by some teachers. Finally, Yuki gave Kyon a book, which had a bookmark hidden within instructing him to meet her in a park at 7pm. Kyon follows Yuki to her apartment where she proceeds to tell him that she is an alien.
The Computer Procurement
I had forgotten how sinister Haruhi was in getting that computer. I remembered that the club had one, but for some reason I failed to remember how they got it, until now. Haruhi really hates when she doesn’t get her way, it’s pretty amazing the lengths she will go to in order to get what she wants. It’s also a bit concerning, considering the computer Haruhi took was the computer club’s newest computer, either purchased with club funds, or the club president’s own money. Maybe a combination of both. Either way, Haruhi really is quite the thief here!
Other than this, the rest of the episode was memorable enough that I hadn’t forgotten it. Who could forget about those bunny girl outfits, or Yuki being an alien?
You know, sometimes its the simple gags that get me. In this case, it’s Yuki not being able to read the situation, socially. After Yuki takes Kyon to her apartment – they sit down and she pours him some tea. So he drinks it, saying it’s good. She fills his cup again, so he drinks it. She then fills up his cup for a third time, so he uncomfortably drinks that as well.
It’s like this type of conversation:
Person A – Hello, how are you?
Person B – I’m good, you?
Person A – Good, you?
Or when you say “thanks you too” to a waiter / waitress after they tell you to enjoy your meal.
I just love how this scene plays out like an awkward social interaction.
Haruhi Locks the Door
Just as Kyon finishes assuring Mikuru that he will protect her from future sexual harassment, Haruhi enters the clubroom and proceeds to lock the door, causing a very distressed look from both Kyon and Mikuru. Short but very funny little moment. It’s also funny how Kyon’s words fall flat just moments after, as Mikuru is forced to wear a bunny girl outfit and he fails to protect her.
I noticed that the colour style in Yuki’s apartment is different, like the contrast is different, creating a dark and weird environment. If I remember correctly, her apartment specifically is usually like this? Either way, it’s an interesting choice and gives her apartment a different feel, which is pretty neat.
I feel like this episode would have caused outrage on social media if it were released today, given the reaction people had to the first episode of Shield Hero (which I still haven’t seen, but I know about the outrage part…). So I guess it’s good that it came out when it did. Personally I loved the episode, lot of fun moments, and we got to see a more more sinister side of Haruhi.
Until next time!
Thanks for reading.
Other Haruhi Posts
- Episode 2 (#1) – Series Introduction
- Episode 3 (#2) – Bullying Kyon Edition
- Episode 5 (#3) – Yuki’s Glasses Edition
- Episode 10 (#4) – Contrast Edition
- Episode 13 (#5) – Real Talk Edition
- Episode 14 (#6) – Romance Edition
- Episode 4 (#7) – Let’s Play Ball! Edition
- Episode 15 (#8) – Introspective Edition
- Episode 7 (#9) – Supernatural Exterminator Edition
- Episode 6 (#10) – Fun in the Sun Edition
- Episode 8 (#11) – “Dark Stormy Night” Edition
- Episode 16 (#12) – “You can have one, but only one.” Edition
- Episode 17 (#13) – Haruhi’s Declaration Edition
- Episode 18 (#14) – Noble Aspirations Edition
- Episode 19 (#15) – Bikes Edition
- Episode 20 (#16) – Hands Up Edition
- Episode 21 (#17) – Festival Edition
- Episode 22 (#18) – Lunch? Edition
- Episode 23 (#19) – Just Yomu Edition
- Episode 24 (#20) – Summer is Over!! Edition
- Episode 25 (#21) – Back to Business Edition
- Episode 26 (#22) – Bullying Mikuru Asahina Edition
- Episode 27 (#23) – Director Haruhi Edition
- Episode 28 (#24) – Talking Cat Edition
- Episode 01 (#25) – Directorial Debut Edition
- Episode 12 (#26) – God Knows Edition
- Episode 11 (#27) – All Hands On Deck! Edition
- Episode 9 (#28) – Good News Edition